Where to Buy Authentic MAC CosmeticsIf you want to be sure that the products (for any brand!) you are getting are authentic, you will want to shop at the following places:
- Actual storefronts for the brand (i.e. MAC shops/boutiques)
- The brand’s official website/store
- Reputable sellers that would stake their reputation to sell authentic products (think Smart Poppy or Strawberry Net [ETA: A commenter has reported that StrawberryNET has been brushing off reports of them selling fake MAC])
- People you actually know whom you trust who are selling their pre-loved makeup
Places to Avoid
- Flea markets
- Mall kiosks
- Grocery stores
- eBay (this place is SWARMING with fakes!)
- Beauty supply stores and salons
- “Resellers” and “Wholesalers” – MAC does not allow wholesalers
The packaging is different from the original. Again, if it’s different from the original, it’s fake. No MAC makeup product comes with an applicator. The number one indicator that yours is fake is if there is a little compartment under the eyeshadow/blush/whatever pot that houses applicators/brushes. Here are just a few packaging anomalies:
- Fake products will have different fonts and different stickers.
- The color of the packaging is off.
- The packaging may seem right on, but there are various small differences. Check this post by Dawn on fake MAC lipstick to see one example.
- They are usually fatter/taller than the original (when applicable, this is in order to make room for the compartment for the applicator).
- Fake MAC pigments will have some sort of 2nd cover or stopper on the jar while the authentic jar does not.
same applies for other products. Be careful however, counterfeiters are getting smarter and have begun making labels with actual names too (just like in Dawn’s post).
The product does not exist on the brand’s actual product roster. Another self explanatory thing. Check online to see if the product you want to buy is listed in the official website, whether in current products or discontinued products. If it’s not in there, it’s probably fake.